Legacy: Introductions and Getting Started Chat

@WebDev

@Mateo @vutran @scottrobel @aeglobal @bob @Wiggles @m-design @caike08 @tmcnulty @syl @ArtyS

I’ve created a poll to help plan a time for a monthly Web Dev team meeting. Here’s the link: https://doodle.com/poll/gvmsccccpiyyatky

If you’d like to join in please indicate which times work for you. I’ve picked a weekend as most of us work and that will limit the hours we are free and complicate finding a middle ground due to the time zone differences.

p.s. if you aren’t in the web developers team you can join it here: https://publichappinessmovement.com/groups It’s not essential to join it, just means you’ll miss out on some communications if you haven’t

1 Like

hey, @m-design we’re so happy to have you here. Welcome to Public Happiness family :orange_heart: :pray:
We cant wait to see your contribution. We need UX magicians like you. :star_struck: :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Hey happy people,

Just to let you know that I’m overwhelmed at the moment between personal projects and work and can’t find one second to work on the project. I’m on a project until the 15 of March approx. but I’ll be available after that!

If I find time before I’ll tell you :slight_smile:

Mateo

4 Likes

Hey buddy. Good luck with your projects and getting on top of things. Looking forwards to having you back :slightly_smiling_face::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I like the way how the onboarding on this page is done. I will try to help with some React stuff.

4 Likes

Welcome @lubbo it’s really excellent to have you here :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi happy people,

I trust that you all are doing good.

Myself Raushan, I am from India, currently working in UAE as a Frontend Engineer. I have been doing ReactJS for quite some time now. Looking forward to contribute in whatever possible ways I can.

Peace

4 Likes

Welcome @redraushan :sunglasses: looks like you and @lubbo are now the two active members of the @ReactMeteor team right now. I suggest you chat and so you can support each other with the task i linked in the post you responded to.

No worries if one of you completes it and the other doesn’t though, there are heaps more tasks posted and i’m sure you both will have your own ideas how to improve it aswell :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi

I’m an engineer from Canada with experience in Meteor, React and other programming languages. I am at home most of the time these days so I decided to help a good cause and came across your team. Please include me in your github and slack and help me get familiar with how you all operate with some basic tasks and then I can start doing more.

Thank you

Welcoem @donitel it’s great to have you here! We should hopefully have the forms issue resolved tomorrow and so we can launch the MVP of the Covid19 community response platform.

The getting started guide in the banner of the React category should get you up and running. There’s a few tasks posted in the tasks for the React tag.

Alternately you can explore the platform and suggest your own ways to make it better at bringing local communities together around a specific theme. In our cases 'Covid 19 and helping people who are homeless (btm) and taking action to increase peace and well-being where you live (phm). If you things don’t jump our then i recommend finding an incremental improvement you can make as they all add up :slight_smile:

This is the main/development branch: https://github.com/focallocal/fl-maps

1 Like

Thank you. I got it forked and started looking at it. There’s instructions that I’ll need a settings.json file on slack. Can you please add me to slack. I know why it’s not on github (good practice), so if someone can send it to me privately it would help me get started.

Cheers

1 Like

i just sent them via DM

Merry Xmas everyone :evergreen_tree::sunny::orange_heart:

Sorry things have been a little quiet here. I reached a point after 8 years where i couldn’t go on living in a van, living on couscous and devoting all my time to supporting our mission, so I had to take a step back for a little bit and build some kind of Foundation for myself.

Now I have that its my intention to fire things back up again and open a community space here in Portugal for anyone who wants to come together and build global peace and happiness. I hope many of you will be a part of the next chapter built upon all the great work we’ve done in the past :stars:

Hey everyone! I’m Jai, an Anthropology major from the Philippines, and I love making the world a better place one little act of kindness at a time. I look forward to working with you all! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, you can call me Grace.
I am deeply interested in the mission of this movement and would love to be a part of it. Peace y’all :wink:
Together, let’s promote peace and happiness!

1 Like

Welcome to The Public Happiness Movement, a hub for Hero’s who want to use Positive Action to change the World we live in and bring more peace and world being to the world.

Please introduce yourself here, we’d love to know:

• What skills you’d like to use to create change, or learn? (graphic design, project management, etc)
  • How you heard about us, and what encouraged you to join the Focallocal Community?
  • What you hope being in this community is going to be like?

next step read the Forum Intro

Hi everyone,
I’m Julita (Julie) and I’m part of Focallocal for around 4 years. It’s a group of really amazing and positive people - as you know, and I’m proud to be one of them!!
I remember it like today, 4 years ago I heard about Focallocal at work (restaurant/bar), few of the guys who just met on Free Hugs decided to go for a drink. I thought wanna try as well. Soonest I met Andy and other members I just felt like I’m home (I was new to the country at this time). I started going on Free Hugs regularly, then Pillow Fights, Take a Smile, I’ve got a message for you… Those are all beautiful ideas making people smile and changing not just their day but also mine!!
Lately started my journey with Video Editing. Focallocal is doing so much but we need to show others through videos what is it all about so I’m learning editing and filming and I’m really excited about it as I feel this is something I would like to do now but also in the future.
Thanks guys and hope to meet more of you very soon :wink:
Julita

3 Likes

Hi I’m Andy. I founded this Community 5 years ago and have been building it ever since. I also came up with the idea for this map 1.5 years ago and have been coordinating with teams of focallocallers to build it ever since. i am more excited about finally launching than paddling pool filled with puppies who’ve just seen an entire bag full of brand-new tennis balls thrown in their direction

I mostly am skilled in idea generation, supporting teams and the community, and project management. Although i also have basic HTML, CSS and Copy Writing Skills

Thank you for joining me on this Mission!

1 Like

Hi I’m Kathleen.I live in Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA and I’m new to Focallocal. I was a host in my city for The World’s Biggest Eye Contact Experiment last fall, and met Andy through the organizers’ group for that event. I really love what I’ve seen of this group so far, and I’m glad to be getting involved. I am going to be a tester for the new site, and hopefully anything else I can do to support that my not-so-tech-savvy skill set and the distance will allow. :smile:

1 Like