Hour picker improved

1. This ties in with the redesign of the Global (forum) side. We designed a floating footer which is always present but has three different sets of buttons to match the area of the site: https://publichappinessmovement.com/t/topic/1766/3?u

The idea being that we highlight the key actions available to users, particularly on a mobile. So gather would be next to their thumb all the time

(Myself and a few others chipped in to pay a company to build it as the ruby team hasn’t been active in waay too long and we needed some progress… but they were very cheap and communication was tough and didn’t work out)

1. We could do if you can define reasons why it’ll be better for users. The UXers who designed it wanted it broken into stages as a long form makes some users drop off because of the effort required. So the decision was to break it up and make it feel more manageable.

The other thing they said was that full screen was good as it removed all distractions. The UK Government Portal was used as a template to follow (although we only went half way towards that vision which would turn each question into its own page).

1. I agree that isn’t clear for users. The idea is that users can post an activity (gathering), or post themselves onto the map (using a nearby landmark) so others can message them and invite them to meet for a public happiness gathering. To help users find others nearby and self organise meetings and activities. In the future we’ll build an ‘invite all within 2/5/10/20km’ function to power this up.

In the brighter tomorrow map this is used for ‘post an existing resource you’ve found’ and ‘post something kind you can offer to do’, so users are still posting themselves to the map, but with the theme of ‘here’s something kind I can offer to do to help people who are homeless near me’ (guided by crowd sourced ideas in our Reddit forum)

This is purely my idea, but I think this ‘post yourself onto the map’ should be moved into the users profile section, and we automate a notification which can only be removed by completing the form. Users can set their category as ‘currently unavailable’ if they don’t want to be contacted by others nearby.

1. This is for choosing category/ies. In my browser I see the title as grey text in the box. Users choose the applicable categories and it changes some options in the form.

2. I’m afraid I’m not sure. This was designed before we began documenting everything.

a. This is/should already be solved in the codebase actually. It was a task someone completed. Right now the backend is doing something odd and it’s interfering with this change. I think its loading two different branches and squishing them together. We need some more members in @SysAdmin to tidy it up.
b. I’m surprised we missed this. Good spot :slightly_smiling_face:
c. The one in the main menu at the top?
d. If that’s easier for users, sure. Create it as a task for the @ReactMeteor team. The same for (b and e)
e. Awesome :sunglasses:
f. Not sure what’s meant, can you expand this plz?
g. I’ve seen that around a lot. I do like the visual clock version most though. It’s so easy

I great, create a task for it tagged Backlog or Sprint
II groovy, create a task for it tagged Backlog or Sprint
III this has always been overly complex for users. create a task for it tagged Backlog or Sprint :wink:

@Mateo I’ve replied to your excellent work. We should begin pulling them out into their own threads.

4 Likes