Getting Started - UX

@danyalamriben @AndyatFocallocal @AlecAaron

I’m going to suggest a plan here to move forward and get the ball rolling. These are just suggestions and of course, everything is subject to change as we progress and all that.

Organisation and Documentation

• With a mind to people joining later on, and for own needs, it would be helpful to have a central location for documentation. Things like research findings, best practices (like UX Nielsen’s 10 heuristics) and the overall gameplan. I’d suggest google docs. I know some of this is has been mentioned in various threads, but it’s spread about.

• Adding some links to Diana’s post like the community values statement so we have an idea of what’s effectively the mission statement.

• Possibly conference calls so we can chat on where we’re at and get to know each other.

Phase One

• Documentation of any previous research or insights
  • Any exploratory UXR we can do. User interviews, field research, examining anything pertinent in the academic literature
  • Did we have Google Analytics? Access please if so
  • A discussion about our messaging and narrative.
  • Synthesizing all this
  • Personas, maybe. I’ve mixed feelings about personas, don’t get me started

Phase Two

• User Flow
  • Card sorting (we’d need around 15 to 20 users for this stat wise)
  • Information architecture

Phase Three

• Paper prototyping, Personally I find it easier to put it on paper before wireframing
  • Wireframing
  • Low fi mockup

Phase Four

• Hi fi mockup
  • User testing, around 5 to 10 users. It’s helpful to test internally first to correct obviious issues
  • UX writing, messaging, copy
  • Iterations

Phase Five

• Roll out
  • Tracking analytics
  • A/B testing
2 Likes