Users posting a resource are automatically subscribed ('following') the Discourse topics on their page

@syl @AndyatFocallocal hey guys, apologies for being absent on this one. Im back on it now! I think i have fixed the problem with the event id and now getting another error in the console. Any ideas?

event id:
x9HxsoZ7MgwmGgDEd

page name:
m_1f

console error:

m_4 - The Pu - Docuss Error - Failed to set the notification level of a tag from [“dcs-m_1f-photos”,“dcs-m_1f-videos”,“dcs-m_1f-stories”]: {“errors”:[“The requested URL or resource could not be found.”],“error_type”:“not_found”}

2 Likes

Ok, I’m having a look.

1 Like

The error has been fixed and the feature seems to be working fine. Do you confirm?

I’ve just noticed one issue, though: when you create an event, the Photos, Videos and Stories menus show a topic count of 1 (although obviously there is no topic in the newly created tag). This is due to this Discourse bug. I will think more about it, but I cannot see any workaround for now.

What about editing that post to have stock text in it, or adding stock text.

Like:

welcome, comment here

yip it seems to be working now! Thanks @syl

1 Like

Exciting!! So it’s working now just with the little bug?

If so can you push it to all three sites please Zahra and I’ll get to posting it up :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@AndyatFocallocal yip working just with the wee bug. Its on deploy-phm at the moment. Also pushing the fix to deploy-btm. Should it be on master too?

1 Like

Yeah, all of them :slightly_smiling_face:

Master is the development branch so it should go there 1st. I was never about to get the SSO working over there for some reason so we can’t log in

In order to create the Photos tag (for example), Docuss needs to create a temporary topic, then to delete it immediately. But then, Discourse counts this deleted topic as one in its topic count.

What could be done is to not delete the temporary topic. But this would have the following drawbacks:

• It would look strange to have a topic in there. If you call it “Comment here”, what is it supposed to mean? That users need to comment within the topic? (using posts) What about creating additional topics?
  • You would need to provide a title, and Discourse is picky when it comes to title meaning and uniqueness.
2 Likes

Also you could ask for a fix in the Discourse bug page. The issue occurs in any Discourse instance and for everyone.

For example, in here on PHM, go to the tags page and have a look at the css tag: the topic count is 6. Now click on the tag to see the topics: there are only 5 of them.

1 Like

done! The build is running so you should be able to test in a few mins

2 Likes

@syl I think you’re right, it is a discourse bug not a feature. I’ll post there.

@Zahra and @syl Well Done!!! :man_dancing::dancer:t3::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles: That was a tricky and critically important task, I’m super stoked to have it completed :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

2 Likes

@syl no update from them yet. It would be good to manually guide users though. I expect many will read/glance at a thread then leave, and that will be the default behaviour for most users.

Having a post at the top (or text in the empty page) saying

comment here to follow this discussion

Would be great. I know there is a follow/watch drop-down, but it’s something most users not familiar with our platform/discourse will miss as it’s not highly priorised from a UX perspective. The short comment would be far more accessible for them

Ok, I will have a look at this.

Notice, however, that this will force you to enable the setting “Allow topics with identical, duplicate titles”. Is that ok?

I can’t see your post in here. Did you forget? Or have your post been deleted by the Discourse team?

I can’t see a problem with that setting being in. It might interfere a little with the search function if we have millions of users but even then I doubt a search returning 4 posts with the same title like ‘London Happiness Course’ would be particularly confusing.

Looks like my post didn’t post, but it’s better that you did as yours is far more useful for them. Doesn’t look like Jeff replied.

I’ll drop a follow up

Hi @AndyatFocallocal,

Sorry to be late on this.

I created a new API function to allow creating a topic. You can use it to create a topic in the newly created tag so that it is not empty.

You will need to update both the dcs-client package used in your Meteor app, and the Discourse plugin (latest version is 1.0.30).

What your dev needs to do is to use postCreateTopic() instead of postCreateDcsTags(), as creating the topic will also create the tag. The technical documentation is here.

1 Like

Thanks @syl, we’ll get onto it asap :slightly_smiling_face: