Week 1 Discussion: Science of Well-being by Yale Uni

To enhance learning and so we can support each others journey please post here your:

• general thoughts on the weeks lessons
  • key takeaways
  • how the rewirement exercises are working for you.

I’ll go 1st:

General Thoughts

I found week 1 quite exciting. It was mostly and introduction and telling us what we will learn and why. Also that there won’t be courseworks, but there will be ‘Rewiring’ Tasks which are designed to help improve our well-being and happiness.

The interface was a little confusing

You need to click on the bold title, then the subheading. Pretty much everything is a video, and immediately after each video finishes it jumps to a different screen so you have to navigate back to the next part of the course.

I enjoyed the casual setting, and warm friendly manner of the lectures. The FB

My Key Take-Aways

The main one for me is how clearly she communicated that learning something is not good enough. You have to create actions to implement it. I find that i’m a ravenous learner and get through about 15 audiobooks a month. Good ones make positive shifts in my patterns and thinking for a few weeks, but those are mostly lost as time passes.

I’m curious to see how the ‘Rewiring Tasks’ support the learning materials, and if they make a big difference i might go back to some of my favourite books and look online for exercises i can do to make more permanent habit changes based on the lessons in them.

It was also good how open she was in rating her happiness a little below average despite all her studies, and i have felt that pressure to be seen as ‘always happy’ given my work, while struggling with my mental health at times.

Rewirements

note: the links in Coursera didn’t work so i googled them instead. Here they are:

You have to register for both which is a bit of a pain, but a valid email is the only thing you need, and ten minute mail is your friend if you are privacy minded.

I found the Authentic Happiness survey kinda hard as there is a big difference between my life as a whole, and one issue inside me that i’ve struggled to shake these past two years, so answering about life in general my answers were very different to answering about my life right now, which is shaded by frustration at not being able to fix something in my head that happened after i burned out from over-working while trying to make Focallocal into something that would change the world, at the same time social media took away everything we’d built in its switch to ‘pay to reach your contacts’. I answered some one way an some the other way and it probably kinda broke even.

Authentic Happiness Inventory : 3.29 (Score Range : 1 to 5)

Permah Profile

This was very different as it asked specifically about the last week.

Capture

:confused: It’s going to be interesting to come back and look at the results in a few weeks, or the end of the course

1 Like

Found week One, quite interesting, I don’t know if everyone has the same struggle, but usually I loose my interest at the beginning time, since it is a introduction and not quite yet about the materia that I think it is important or waiting for. But the professor was great, she did had really good vibes and made things interesting.

About the the quiz that was asked to be done, It was very curious for me to see that some daily routines ir work can affect our happiness quota.

2 Likes

This is my first time in an online Science of Well-Being course, the first week being always more for introduction, I liked it because it made me curious about the next steps.
My score about Authentic Happiness Inventory was 2.96 (and I’m looking forward to seeing my progress :slight_smile:)
I really enjoyed researching about “The G.I. Joe Fallacy” and its analogy. It’s interesting.
Let´s go!!!

2 Likes

I liked the character strength portion the best. At the beginning I singled out some specific questions because I didn’t like the specific way they were worded, and at the end reconfigured versions of those questions I liked a lot more showed up. It made it feel targeted.

I did all the polls to get happiness numbers and put feelings into different categories but I’ve never liked things that characterize portions of myself like that, like the Meyers Briggs test. I like instead the format the character strengths results gave, small blurbs communicating important ideas I can connect with, vs. an “Authentic happiness score” of 2.67.

I’ve added a few books on character strengths to my reading list. Definitely should’ve used an ephemeral email, that was a good thought.

2 Likes

Cool to see everyone’s experiences and feedback. I think I’ll add that my results reflected that I have one very specific issue to fix and focus on - which I knew, but was good to reaffirm it.

1 Like