Onboarding example and template messages: Web Dev

Please post your examples below so others in the future can easily see how this task is done, and improve on best practice if needed

Thank you so much for your interest in our project we would love to have you join the team and community and help create something to brighten the lives of societies most vulnerable.

About us:

We are a community of volunteers building projects to solve societal issues through empowering local people. In this case there are far more people who want to help than there are people who are homeless pretty much everywhere in the world. We facilitate a safe connection between them, crowd source the most effective things local people can do to help those who are involuntarily homeless to get back on their feet, and offer a real time updated map of free resources available to meet basic human needs.

We have a meta site for building together, and individual sites for each project.

First i need to warn that the React half of each website is currently down due to an issue with migrating our databases (the new hosts want a lot of money to do the same things the previous one did free). We hope to have that solved in the next few days.

Fortunately we have pretty solid documentation linked in the banner of your department in our forums which you can follow to get set up and find tasks to build. Please read the Getting Started Guide to… get started.

• please add direct link to the department they are joining here

The (temporarily broken) Brighter Tomorrow Map: https://brightertomorrowmap.com/

If you have any questions shoot them over, i’m happy to reply

I hope you enjoy creating a world with more peace and happiness with our hope-fuelled community mission :slight_smile:

Here is something I created with the original template above as reference. Please let me know your thoughts/suggestions! :slight_smile:

Oh, I should update that before you send it. Some info is outdated, can you send me the link here please.

Also, are people applying for the homelessness project? Or the community in general? As they should receive different welcome messages

Sure! Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10_iGPU7RV4DtpDIvi14r4iz4GQIR8AXmu2P0n2OjqHg/edit?usp=sharing. Some people are specifically interested in the project, some are interested in the web development works here in general.

Ok, I’ll edit both messages and share them here. Do you have the link to that intro on our forum, as that’s the one which will be used again and so should be updated

If any of the web developers have react is, sys admin or backend experience I’ll message them directly. Perhaps they can help us get the rest of the site live again

Great! I will get back to the volunteers who messaged me once you send the revised onboarding template. :slight_smile: also yes I will refer them to you once they’re on our platform already so you can directly talk to them :slight_smile: will that be okay? Thanks so much!

I think just refer them to the introductions thread and as long as they list their skills/interests I’ll reach out from there

Noted! That would actually be better. Thank you so much. :smiley:

Thank you so much for your interest in our project! We would love to have you join our teams and help brighten the lives of the most vulnerable members of society.

About us:
We are a community of volunteers building projects to solve societal issues through empowering local people. The advert you replied to is regarding our project helping people who are homeless around the world walk a path to a brighter tomorrow.

There are far more people who want to help than there are people who are homeless pretty much everywhere in the world. At (the temporality broken) brightertomorrowmap.com we:

• facilitate safe supportive communication between them
  • crowdsource the most effective things local people can do to help people who are living on the streets nearby get back on their feet
  • offer a real time updated map of free resources available to meet the basic human needs of anyone who is homeless

We have a meta site for building these community empowerment projects, and individual sites for each project. The Public Happiness Movement website is where we interact and work together as a team.

First, I need to give you an early heads up that the Reactjs half of our website is currently down due to an issue with migrating our databases (the new hosts want a lot of money to do the same things the previous one did for free). We hope to have that solved in the next few days.

Once you’re on the platform, you can choose departments and projects you want to join and work with based on your skills and passions.

Here is a walkthrough to help you navigate our half broken platform: PHM app walkthrough.mp4.

And here’s a direct link to the department/project you replied about joining:

Fortunately, we have pretty solid documentation linked in the banner of your chosen department which you can follow to get set up and find tasks to build. Please read the Getting Started Guides and list your skills when introducing yourself so others can reach out and help you get started.

If you want to help with our kindness based mission, please make an account on our website and message me there (@JaiGuerrero) with your chosen department so I can add you to our group. If you have any questions, shoot them over and I would be happy to reply!

I hope you enjoy creating a world with more peace and happiness through our hope-fuelled community mission.

@JaiGuerrero you can link people to their skills departments, and/or the project they requested to join. The getting started guide there will walk them through the rest and I’ll watch out for introductions posted

Noted! Thanks so much for this.