Legacy: Introductions and Getting Started Chat

Hey Andy, in which repository ?

4 Likes

@zackmoun The main repo is now master_withoutDCS. sorry that’s a little confusing, it should be master but we have other pages loading on focallocal.org (where master branch compiles), and so its a bit of a job to change the master branch.

The the settings.json file isn’t on Github for security reasons. If you need that just let me know and i’ll DM it. @zdbrenda did you get the support you needed to get set up?

2 Likes

welcome @zackmoun and @zdbrenda :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

No, I didn’t get help from anyone yet.

1 Like

I’ve messages Tom again

@ReactMeteor IS there anyone else that can help @zdbrenda get setup?

3 Likes

I’ve created documentation for our Mission Statements. Any thoughts and feedback?

1 Like

Hi there,

I’m Rachel. I came here from Reddit. I recently completed a ux bootcamp and I’m looking for ways to use my ux for good. I’m happy to lend a hand. Do you all have a Trello or Google/Figma document where you’re designing? Thanks!

4 Likes

Welcome to our community @Rachel_Carton :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Rachel_Carton we’ve been talking over on Reddit. We moved away from Trello and are now using here for project planning. If you click the ‘tasks’ tab (or occasionally ‘boards’ for some reason i’ve yet to get to the bottom of), you’ll find a Kanban board where you can find and create UX related tasks.

If you go through the getting started guide linked in the UX category’s banner you’ll get to understand how we use tags to navigate, which will become far easier in the near future. I’ll message you with the plan we’ve been working on, and i’m about to initiate build on shortly

Great! Thanks.

1 Like

Thanks! Happy to be here. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the UX team

1 Like

@Rachel_Carton It would probably help if you joined the team here: Ux research, design and user flow - Public Happiness

We are embarking a final discussion on the design built from our previous discussions before the build begins :slight_smile:

Hi,
My name is Muhammad Salem and I came here from WeWorkMeteor I am a full-stack (currently Meteor/React) software engineer from Cairo, Egypt. Also, I am a UI/UX plus Logo designer. I have been a software engineer/developer for the past 25+ years and a designer for the past 10+ years, here is My LinkedIn Profile.

I did not got the chance yet to read the FAQ/Whitepaper …etc. but I will soon! @AndyatFocallocal I like your CAUSE(s) and IDEA(s) a lot and I am here to volunteer/contribute by any means I can (for starter as a developer/designer) in one or more of the FocalLocal projects. And I am willing to give as much hours/week as I can (as a starter let’s talk in the range of 20 hours/week give or take).

Kind Regards.
Muhammad Salem

1 Like

welcome @msgfxeg, i’m pleased to have you join us here!

i’ll tag you in a few posts which match your skills around the site as it’s not too easy to navigate just yet :slight_smile:

You’ll find a ‘getting started’ guide in the banner of each category and tag-page React Js and Meteor . The Meteor/React guide is a bit tricky and often has bugs when setting up. @tmcnulty would you be able to send Muhammed the new settings.json file?

1 Like

Thanks @AndyatFocallocal
I was busy today but I have some how managed to spare sometime to explore the forums and I will continue that same exploration tommorow plus exploring your github repo, the meteor/react guide and your current work flow of Scrum/kaban way as I am feeling so much lost. I will take my time exploring until I figure out what is going on and how. and I will report back to you as soon as I figure everything clearly.

Kind Regards,
Muhammad Salem

1 Like

Yes, the feeling of being lost until you’ve invested significant time into exploring is what we hope to solve with the new design I tagged you in over in the UX chat

1 Like

I do not think the design is the problem. I think it is a normal thing for humans to feel lost when introduced to new systems / work-flows / people :slight_smile:

I think once I familiarize myself with work-flow I hope I will be comfortable with everything and thanks for tagging me.

Howdy, Ya’ll!

Names Mario i’m from Texas and i am a react developer currently working for the University of Texas.

While i am no expert i do consider myself pretty good at solving issues and i really want to help contribute by adding new features or fixing current bugs. I am very good with the front end though i do not have much experience with ruby on rails most of my back end experience is with node/express & python :slight_smile: . I am hoping to learn from this project as much as possible and i feel it will help me grow as a developer. (can only do so many things at home and work before hitting a wall)

anyways i hope to contribute and learn from all of you

6 Likes