Create React and iOS apps from the Discourse stock app

If I’m following, the app you’ve created asks users to log in/sign up on the 1st page.

If that’s correct we should have some welcome text. The UX team have decided that rather than explainer text on each area of the site, we’d explain what’s going on with a community written mission statement. It would create continuity if the 1st screen they see has that message.

If it’s not the login page then don’t worry about it, I was mistaken and will add it on the normal 1st page they see

Yeah it is the login page that users first see. It needs to be short and concise otherwise it gets in the way of the login form. I feel like the words “public happiness movement” shouldn’t be in the text you gave because the logo should have the title instead. But I’ll play around with the design and see what happens.

1 Like

ok, that makes sense. The plan is to include Public Happiness Movement/Token/Summit as part of the logo

@isaiahgirard has almost finished our new logo for the rebrand and relaunch, you can follow progress and grab it once it’s ready here:

Did that plugin get installed Bob?

@AndyatFocallocal Nope I don’t know what’s going on with it.

1 Like

I’ll send him an email

1 Like

@bob he’s traveling, and will try to add it tonight or tomorrow

1 Like

@UXers
I was thinking we should include a link to our Community Values Page on the signup page asking users to read them 1st: https://news.focallocal.org/the-focallocal-community-values/

I can add it to the normal signup window. @bob the login page you’ve built is separate isn’t it, so you’d need to add a link to it. What do you think?

Or is it enough to have our Mission Statement, and let users read the Values as they get more involved in the community? Or maybe include it in their welcome email?

…the last one is the correct answer isn’t it?

I think any info you want new users to read should be in either the welcome email or a welcome page that they see when they first login. You want to make it quick and simple to sign up so asking them to read the values beforehand is the same as making them read the T&Cs which I believe not many people do.

1 Like

@ReactMeteor @moderators @RubyonRails @UXers @TokenFounders @AndyatFocallocal Can you PM me your gmail? I’m going to add you and anyone else who wants to test as a tester but they need a gmail account. This is only the Android app for now.

After I add you, the app will be available here - APP LINK.

Notifications don’t work yet but once the server is setup you should start receiving notifications if you enabled it.

3 Likes

Done. Feel welcome to add others in the team too.

You can add /groups to our URL to see their @ tags

@tmcnulty @ArtyS @msgfxeg @zdbrenda @aeglobal @Rachel_Carton @isaiahgirard @mavrenonbram @ZaraAlyssa @Wiggles @MarinaOhNo @TheBigTea @themarketingguy @PeterT @NJUX @paul-phm @lylycarrillo @zackmoun @Virginia @lit-codes @Eleanor @brendanyorke @Ivan

if you are android users, would you all like to test out the app the @bob built? I’ve been using it and it’s excellent, it definitely helps to stay engaged

2 Likes

@AndyatFocallocal I am an android user and glad to help by testing the App kindly send me the playstore link

2 Likes

check out Bob’s message 3 messages up. he needs your email address at the moment. @bob, my review is that it operates perfectly.

2 Likes

Thanks @AndyatFocallocal I will

1 Like

@AndyatFocallocal @bob

I have finally managed to install and run the android app on my phone and here is my feedback:

• Login is working correctly and perfect ( Login/Login errors).
  • Authorize the app button is a bit glitchy and takes some time and more than one click to respond but works fine in the end.
  • Choosing to enable push notifications also needs more than one click.
  • Both Global and Local buttons takes more than one click and loads slowly ONLY THE FIRST TIME after that works normal and fast
  • Local search and auto-complete and all maps related operations works very fast … yaaay :slight_smile:
  • Search topics the magnifying glass (search topics) works good and with reasonable speed response.
  • The hamburger menu works correct and fast even a little bit faster than the site!
  • The profile menu is perfect also.

My only concern is about the readability of the little icons in both the burger and the profile menu if you can increase their size a little bit for the sake of visually impaired people.

Other than that, IMHO the APP is functionally perfect.

I hope that feedback helps.
Kind regards.

1 Like

@msgfxeg Thanks for your honest feedback and taking the time to check out the app.

The app is really just a wrapper around the website so most of the issues, especially the slow loading when the app is open for the first time, is caused by the website which I can’t really fix myself.

The buttons shouldn’t need to be clicked twice, it’s just that its still loading after you click it the first time. I tried adding a loading view in before but I think I had a problem with it so left it out. It’s been a while since I worked on it so I can’t remember off the top of my head but I’ll try to fix it before the app is released.

2 Likes

Good job @bob and thanks for your reply and all the clarifications :slight_smile:

1 Like

@bob Is it possible to get the app for Brighter Tomorrow Map up? That community is active and ready to use it. The Public Happiness community (this one) is waiting for the redesign of this forum which will be ready by the end of the month, before we can begin to grow it.

Also can we try for the Ios ones? we can code slight differences to help pass the Apple bar if needed :slight_smile:

Tbh I haven’t done anything for the BTM app since we were focused on getting the PHM app working. Ill try get it done in a couple weeks if that’s fine.

For ios, the problem is i dont have an apple dev account which costs $99usd a year nor do I have an iPhone which I also need to make an account. If I was 100% sure the app would be accepted by Apple then Id be more inclined to source my own iPhone and make an account but for now the only way is to find a react native ios dev.