Create React and iOS apps from the Discourse stock app

Sure. The BTM one is exactly the same, just a different URL and icon so hopefully that’ll speed it up. The site itself runs the exact same code, we just use a language app to define text differences.

I’m pretty sure I can find someone with an iOS account. Not sure how they can give you access, as I’ve never seen inside one. I’ll ask around, maybe someone there can help us with the app :slight_smile:

Bob, is it better for people to download the testing app, or the one in Google play?

I’ll add the link it to the getting started guides as we’ve got a few new members joining in

It’s best to get it from Google play once I make the app live. I just need the new logo and it’d be great if you can give me a description for both apps that’s going to be shown on Google play. There’s a short (80 chars) and long (4000 chars) description.

1 Like

I’ll get that description to you today. @isaiahgirard is ready to go with the logos, he’s just creating the sizes we want and sending them over. btw, what size should the app icon be? the one that will be on people’s phone app lists.

I need the logo in a high res (could be 2048x2048) PNG file with transparent bg and as a square. Will the logo include the PHM text? If so, then I’ll need a separate logo without the text too at the same size. I’ll be using the text free logo to generate the app icon myself using a tool because there’s many sizes that need to be made.

1 Like

@AndyatFocallocal I’m sure I asked you this before but is BTM using Discourse for the signup/login? Also where is the repo located? I can’t seem to find it anywhere. I want to check out the code for the login/signup and try to get it working on the app.

We use discourse as an SSO provider and sync our maps database with discourses user database. The code and database for btm is the same as phm so user accounts are shared.

Log in and sign up should work out of the box. I’m using the app now and it’s perfect.

The only issue I’ve found is that we need a ‘share’ button as I often want to link someone to a chat but can’t copy/paste the URL. Oh, and when opening a link it should start at the bottom of the chat, not the top. I think that’s discourse default behaviour though. I’ll post a task to change it.

Sorry I’ve not got those descriptions to you. My laptop keyboard lost a row of keys and I can’t log in to grab the files that would fit until I can fix it.

No worries about the description, the logo is the main thing I’m waiting for.
I tried logging into BTM with the same email and password as PHM and it didn’t seem to work.

@SysAdmin ( @tmcnulty ) I know we’ve got you running around a lot already trying to work out what’s going on.

This looks to be related. There were a few new people interested in joining the sysadmin team so hopefully you’ll get some support on that side soon Tom. I’ll put more ads out too.

When you say “link someone to a chat”, do you mean getting the URL of the topic and sending it to someone outside of PHM?

Also, what links are you opening? It looks like it does open either from the bottom or wherever you last were on the page if you had been there before.

Yes.

Any links I open. I have to scroll from the 1st post to the last, which really doesn’t take long but is worth changing. I know the URL changes dynamically in discourse so I think I need to map exactly what’s happening as I should be arriving at where the link was copied from

I just remembered that there’s a share button already at the bottom of each post. Have you tried using that to get the URL?

1 Like

Great spot. So we just need to bring it out to make it more prodominiant

@bob I worked out what i mentioned yesterday. its the notifications in the app. if you click one it takes you to the top of the thread rather than to the comment itself

Regarding the iOS app, I’ll be able to work on it but it will take some time because I’m waiting on an iPhone and also need to learn iOS dev.

2 Likes

@AndyatFocallocal Andy, do you think the app name could be shortened or even have another name? Reason is on iOS the name “Public Happiness Movement” is so long it gets truncated and spaces are removed when its on the home screen so it becomes something like “PublicHappine…”. Ideally it should be max 12 chars.

1 Like

Hmm. Maybe P.Happiness. that has obvious connotations with pee happy though.

P.Hap - probably the same

What about just Happy, Happiness, Happier? Are any of those free?

@UXers what do you think?

I believe it can be anything because its the name on the device and not the full app name thats displayed on the App store.
Obviously it should be something similar to the original name so it makes sense.
What do you think of PH Movement?
It just fits and still looks like the original name.

Sounds a bit like a skin care commercial :confused::joy:

What about Be Happiness?

1 Like