Hour picker improved

@ArtyS is a very skilled developer so might be able to help. @tmcnulty from the @SysAdmin team has more experience with Travis issues.

Which issues so you see? Also is there a chance they are related to brightertomorrowmap.com failing to compile correctly?

Actually it was @ArtyS’s pull request! I don’t really know why, but it seems to be related to Travis CI.

1 Like

Here’s the PR Arty made. It just needs the UX issues ironed out and then we’ll have a vastly improved date picker :slight_smile:

@lubbo @donitel @redraushan this is a great task to get started. would one, or a few of you, like to take it on.

Btw, does anyone have an interest in Ruby on Rails as there are also some well prepared tasks there that would help getting a grip on the codebase

hey, I can try that, however I have to work on finishing my company’s project today, so I can start with this like tomorrow evening.

Ruby on Rails is also okay for me - not my favourite, but it has few strong parts and I have some experience with it

1 Like

In the Ruby on Rails category we have a UX wireframe, so you’ll find more detailed instructions there. The React side is a little lacking on UX right now.

@zhna123

I’ve been reading through. 2020 was when our platform and project died due to the database issue that we just couldn’t fix. I finally resolved it during COVID lockdowns with the help of the CTO from MongoDB. This is our rebirth from the flames​:fire::slightly_smiling_face:

The issue with waiting for the forms we because someone was actively working on them, but their work was never completed. It comes down to those 3 forms again because users need to able to:

1. post themselves onto the map, and when selecting that category it would have no end date
  2. post fixed resources like a homelessness shelter or soup kitchen. Those would also not need an end date as when they close down users would report them closed and they’d get removed by an admin.
  3. Post events onto the map which might be a one off, repeating daily, weekly, monthly, for a week, year, or indefinitely.
  4. Post something they are offering to do for people who are homeless (a community resource). Which might be each week, it might be forever like putting a bench and usb charging point in their fence, or it might be something that people who are homeless need to contact them to arrange a time.

It is possible to squeeze all of those options into one date and time picker on one form, and we have most of those options already built in, but finding a way to present all of those options to users so they know what to select, that’s a challenge.

We can use the ‘hide field if X category is selected’ function, which already exists… but maybe it’s less complex to separate out the forms into three versions.

Would you like another task? You are very welcome to take on the entire form issue. It’s certainly not the easy getting started one I thought I was suggesting you begin with though so please feel very welcome to request a different one :sweat_smile:

Hi thanks for explaining! So from what I’ve understood(please correct me if I am wrong):

1. mangoDB issues are all fixed, and the platform is live/running currently.
  2. You are in the process of upgrading MeteorJS.
  3. The form issue can be addressed now - sounds like using 3 forms would be the best way to go.

I need to set up the project locally to study the code for a bit. Should I use the deploy-phm branch? Is this the branch the development work currently based on? I saw there is a task about code improvement. If I can set up the project locally, I can probably use the suggestions there to make some changes while going through the code base, as a first step to get familiar with the project.

I also remembered the dependency issues I’ve encountered while trying to set up the master branch. Would you like to update some of the packages and dependencies first? Is there a plan or doc for that yet? Or is it part of the upgrading MeteorJS task you are working on?

Btw, I am on vacation right now, and I will look at more stuff next week.

1. Yes!
  2. Umm… well i hope so. I’m trying hard to solve it.. I have another plan which you might come hear us talking about so i might as well mention it now. We’re gifting a version of our platform (with a few tweaks) as a prototype for an EU project which has similar aims to our core design brief in bringing communities together to take action on local issues (half the design brief). That saves them a heap of time and gives them a platform beyond what they could’ve achieved for it, and in exchange we would get to use a bit of their budget for key breaking issues like a MeteorJS expert to do the update. We’ve always been a money free group, but if its the only way to fix that issue and no-one is losing out why not? (also we’re exploring solving it by becoming a crytpo-backed community, but that’s a whole different discussion. All ideas to get us up and running are on the table)
  3. Yes definitively using the single form has been tough in a UX sense. Trying to find perfect sentences that can work for both use-cases for one.

deploy-phm is the live meta site branch, this platform.

deploy-btm is the homelessness project, although its not building right now (another issue we can fix while setting up the EU project site, as its just repeating the same steps when setting up their version).

master is the latest current branch and will soon be our staging server version.

Master is the correct branch to use. Then we test a few improvements for stability before pushing changes downstream to all live sites (i mean we will be able to test them as soon as master is hooked to a live testing server)

I know that’s a bit messy. Unfortunately that’s what happens when a project is mostly dead for a couple of years and then comes back to life. That DB migration tool absolutely destroyed us… all these troublesome issues seem pretty small in comparison :sweat_smile:

I saw there is a task about code improvement. If I can set up the project locally, I can probably use the suggestions there to make some changes while going through the code base, as a first step to get familiar with the project.

That sounds like a great idea!

1 Like

I was able to set up the platform locally after getting the newest master branch(with meteor upgrades). Only thing I did change was to rename the file mup-secrets.enc.json to be mup-secrets.json in directories fl-maps/deployment/publichappinessmovement and fl-maps/deployment/brightertomorrowmap.

There are warnings, but I can at least start looking at the code.

1 Like

Well done! We’re looking at the mup setup regarding the updating the platform so it should be fixed soon and its great you’ve identified it yourself.

I’ll move your fix to the documentation section in case anyone else needs it before we can solve the mup issue.

@zhna123 are you still looking around the code, would you like a task, or are you going to go with one of the two we discussed above (the date picker or the forms)?

Yes I am looking at the code. I will let you know when I work on a task.

1 Like