[Kanban Plugin] Resolve conflicts between our mod and the updated master branch

Our mod wasn’t merged and now needs some updates so that is can be merged into the master branch. The plugin author also found the issue that was causing the time out, so i’ll remove that task from the list.

Here’s the meta codebase: https://meta.discourse.org/t/kanban-board-theme-component/118164

@shan I would suggest this task as the solution has already been found in that first link… although I’m not aware how complicated that solution is.

Here’s an updated overview of the task. I believe it requires some Ember coding to fix it:

Discourse is opensource and many developers build plugins and theme components for it. Discourse Kanban Theme has been made and is maintained by David Taylor, who is enthusiastic about our work but not part of our community. I’ve found him to be supportive, although he often takes a long time to reply to questions.

We forked David’s theme component and edited it to work with tags as well as categories. Here is Arty’s fork.

Due to a time-out error David declined to include it in the master branch until it was updated. He explains how to fix it here

Its now a few versions behind so Arty’s changes need to be combined into the most recent version on the master branch, which may or may not introduce new bugs that need fixing alongside the time-out fix.

At this point we send it to David and request it is added to the master branch. Based on previous conversations i expect he’ll be happy to include it. If not we maintain it as our own version and follow updates to David’s version if they will enhance ours.

I’ve done a spring clean to our Github organsiation and noticed that Arty’s mod wasn’t included so i’ve forked it and added it. Here’s a direct link: https://github.com/focallocal/discourse-kanban-theme

@Marvelxy @m.ngethe I suggested you both have a go at the floating footer plugin task. @shan has bravely jumped into this task, but Arty wrote this modification in Ember which she doesn’t know, so it’s proving to be tough going. Do either of you have any experience with Ember and would you be able to lend a hand.

You can all also use the @WebDev or @RubyonRails tag to ask other members questions. As the site has been down for a long time i suspect you’re only likely to hear back from each other, or maybe myself and @tmcnulty if its am @SysAdmin question. We encourage supporting each other as much as possible here :slight_smile:

Oh, possibly also @JordinParma as he also works in the Sysadmin/database field, although he’s officially here as one of our Reddit mods so that depends if he also wants to join any of our Teams and make himself available to offer advice and support to others on the Web Dev side as well.

Once we get the site running properly again i expect a lot of the old team members will come floating back in. People generally do once momentum begins building as they are excited to see what cool things are being built on the foundations they laid here :slight_smile:

1 Like

@AndyatFocallocal I’ve never used Ember before, but I don’t mind picking it up and working with it. I can do a crash course on it and start this task. If this is okay, I can start the course today.

Great. I’m sure you and Shan can get this plugin working again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m still struggling to find my way around. Would this get me up and running if I want to start working on the floating footer? There’s so much info to look through here on the site.

I would also like it if @shan could let us know her status on what she’s done so far :smile:, so I’d know where to start from.

1 Like

Setting up a local host would only help you with the Reactjs app, unless you also wanted to set up a locally hosted discourse forum.

We have a testing server so you can code directly onto a live site. Unfortunately that has also been taken down by the database issue. I would suggest following the guides in our documentation section for creating Discourse plugins and themes components. They will guide you the best way to do it

1 Like

Then as they are just plugins we can test them on this live site. It’s very easy to simply turn them off again if they don’t function as expected

I will do that.

1 Like

Hey @Marvelxy. Just an FYI it’s he and not she😅 .
I have not done anything in the repo so far. I was preoccupied with something else. So what I know so far is that we need to create a plugin for discourse. And once it’s get merged in discourse repo. We can use it in our site from admin panel.

1 Like

Sorry, @shan :laughing:, my bad lol. Alright then, I will go through the guides for creating Discourse plugins and see if I can start something.

1 Like

We can use it anytime you want via our admin panel, it doesn’t need to be merged. Once it’s merged it will be supported by the original developer and receive updates rather than falling behind and missing out on cool new features, bug fixes, or perhaps inconsistencies with the latest version of Discourse

1 Like

I just add it and turn it on to see if it works. We actually have Artys version installed in the site now but I turned it off due to the time out bug and we use the stock version instead which doesn’t work on tags.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Floating Footer] Floating footer created

if you load Arty’s version on your testing site you can see the url structure he’s used

@JFort would you like to have a go at this while you wait for access? Not so simple, but it is well documented with the original plug-in author explaining how to solve the issue. The plug-in has been updated since then so you’d have to update Arty’s version and then add the code to prevent timeouts.

It would be helpful, even if it is deprecated. I can get a lot anyway. The more I poke the more I notice.

1 Like