New Homepage

Hey Marvel! Nice to meet you!
I’ve unfortunately made very little progress over the weekend due to feeling very ill. Feeling a bit better today - I intend to make more progress throughout this week, will definitely share any progress!

2 Likes

Hey @ludanin, thanks for this!

As per my last comment - I’ve been feeling quite ill the past weekend and have very little progress. I’ll definitely reach out for help!

As a separate note - I was trying to see if I can bump the React version to 16.8 so that I could use React hooks, but it turns out this would require quite a bit of dependency changes… so I’ll have to stick to the class component syntax (which I’m unfortunately less familiar with at this point). Thanks for all your patience :bowing_man:

2 Likes

Nice to meet you too. Get well soon. Let me know when you need help or assistance or when you have any question regarding Discourse API.

2 Likes

This sounds like a good step forwards, although i agree not a priority right now if its a big job. It would be great if you’d create a task in the Reactjs category so it’s there for yourself or someone else in the future who feels like tackling it.

Tags are… or will soon be very important here. I recommend using ‘backlog, reactjs, web-dev’

@ludanin if you’re able and happy to tackle this task with @kentokana that’s great.

If you’d prefer a solo mission this task is also an important one as users right now won’t receive notifications when someone posts on their map posts. This autosets them to ‘following’

I can’t see any reasons why I wouldn’t like to collaborate with @kentokana haha, I’ll be a bit busy with work today but I’ll occasionally come back here as I finish my priorities. So Kento feel free to spam me as you need, whenever I get some time I’ll get back to you :upside_down_face:

I’m only refusing this for now since I haven’t yet used Discourse before, maybe over the weekend when I have more time available I can try setting things up.

1 Like

That’s fair enough. Hopefully you won’t need to know discourse as the edits are all on the React side and hopefully will just work right away. Getting a grip on Discourse will be needed if their recent big update caused Zahra’s code to stop functioning.

@ludanin and @kentokana how are you getting on with this?

As you’re working together can i suggest an excess of communication, post everything you do here to prevent repeating work the other does. Also breaking the homepage build up into specific tasks, or sections of work would be good so that each of you can grab individual tasks without worrying.

Another suggestion is that you could build the new homepage at a sub directory so you can both move sections completed on your local dev environment into the live site and see what each other has built to help with consistency in styling, etc. Then just copy it to the homepage directory when its complete

Sorry for the late response @AndyatFocallocal, this weekend I spent some time w/ medical appointments (I got vaccinated last week :raised_hands:) and I overlooked this notification.

I don’t see any public PR/branch for this task that I can contribute so I’ll start a new one and publish it to GitHub by this weekend (over the week I’m usually busy w/ work). If @kentokana publishes his progress before I start coding then I’ll see what I can do to collaborate/add to his work, or maybe look for another task, otherwise I’ll keep you updated on my progress.

1 Like

Let me know if there’s anything I can help with. I’ll be online all weekend and eager to support :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks! I’m getting a bunch of errors when running meteor npm install node_fail.doc (825.5 KB) (please rename this file to node_fail.txt, it’s not a .doc file but I can’t upload plain text files here :confused:)

I’ve never used meteor before so I’m curious, do we use meteor only for taking care of packages in this repository? Or does meteor do something else? (I know it’s running the start scripts too, but I’m not so sure if these can be achieved with just npm)

It seems that the package triggering the error is bcrypt, which I never had any issues installing using yarn or npm before.

I have the settings.json file, I don’t know if we need it to install packages (I don’t think though, but mentioning this in case it helps)

1 Like

@tmcnulty and Jaime, this is the same issue @zdbrenda is having. Looks like its a new bug that’s appeared recently. I’ll turn it into its own issue and tag you all there.

Thanks again, unfortunately meteor is not a tech that I’m familiar with so I can’t help in fixing this bug, but feel free to ping me for any additional details and I’ll be happy to provide them

1 Like

Getting a bug when running the app:

ERROR in /home/lu/fl-maps/imports/client/ui/pages/About/SecondSection/styles.scss (/home/lu/fl-maps/node_modules/css-loader!/home/lu/fl-maps/node_modules/sass-loader/lib/loader.js!/home/lu/fl-maps/imports/client/ui/pages/About/SecondSection/styles.scss)

Module build failed: Error: `sass-loader` requires `node-sass` >=4. Please install a compatible version

Upgrading or downgrading node-sass will still show this message :confused:, which is really strange because he have we have "node-sass": "^4.11.0" at package.json

1 Like

Try this @ludanin

1 Like

It’s working, and now I can see the home page – which I’ll bulldoze to build a new one haha; Thanks again!

edit:
Ah one last thing, can I get a high-res version of the home image without the blue background? We can add the background w/ CSS and reduce a lot of code to keep it responsive (it would be also lovely if I could get the title separated from the earth/heart)

1 Like

Unfortunately i had to wipe my laptop and reinstall the operating system, and at the same time my GF kicked my backup HD which is now dead. I’m hunting for the full images in old emails, and from the original creator. One of them is a PSD which has the text separate.

The images need to be called via i18n so you can put the low quality ones there and then i’ll just replace them with the high def ones as soon as i can track them down, or recover the HD.

this one:

and this one is for BTM

@ludanin how’s it coming?