New Homepage

@Marvelxy lets move our chat about the homepage to the correct place.

Its a standard page. We did have a template but it seems to be lost in an older version. Any page in the platform has the same code to create a simple page.

Page Template

This is the ‘about’ page. I think its pretty straight forwards. You can see this one is broken into three sections, which you can copy, or put it all in one.

A simple CSS page calling all our styling rules from the rest of the site so you only need to change the things you need to change, and the code below in the index file:

import React, { Component } from 'react'
import TopImageSection from './TopImageSection'
import FirstSection from './FirstSection'
import SecondSection from './SecondSection'
import AboutSection from '../Home/SecondSection'
import i18n from '/imports/both/i18n/en'
import './styles.scss'

class About extends Component {
  componentDidMount () {
    window.__setDocumentTitle('About')
  }

render () {

return (
      <div id='about'>
        <h2>header if needed</h2>
        <div>Add your code here</div>
    )
  }
}

export default About

I18n

You can find i18n files here: https://github.com/focallocal/fl-maps/tree/master/imports/both/i18n/en

That’s where we put everything the user see’s (text, images). You can see that you just need to create a new file for the new page in the i18n English (/en) file.

Actually you need to create two, one in PHM and one in BTM, as the platform reads the url and returns the correct text and images for each platform (brightertomorrowmap.com or publichappinessmovement.com).

In the files you just add tags which match the tags in the page you’re creating, as you can see in the other files in i18n if you’d like examples.

Sorry, I was taken down by Malaria on Saturday, but I still had to try to complete the setup LOL. I always don’t like leaving stuff halfway done.

Thank you for this. I’ve been struggling with the code base haha. I guess we need the call this weekend. Before then, I will keep looking at the codes.

1 Like

Wow. I hope you’re recovering well. A call would be great, but don’t worry about it if you’re not feeling strong. I’m happy to wait.

1 Like

Now i think about it, i can set up the template page for you so you don’t have to worry about learning it, and will probably get the set up passively just from working around it.

1 Like

Yes, I am recovering. I’m fine now. I can work on it :smile:

This would really help, it will go a long way.

1 Like

I’ve created a Template page, but it was probably not necessary as i noticed Arty had created a guide here: How To: Add a Basic React Page to the Maps Site

1 Like

@Marvelxy you can find the template i created here: fl-maps/imports/client/ui/pages at master · focallocal/fl-maps · GitHub

and the corresponding i18n pages are also called ‘template’ and inside BTM and PHM here: fl-maps/imports/both/i18n/en at master · focallocal/fl-maps · GitHub

I should mention that there is every chance i’ve missed something or introduced a bug as i’m not very skilled with code

1 Like

@Marvelxy what days are you free for that video call?

Sorry, I just saw your message :man_facepalming:. I’m usually free on weekends; Saturdays and Sundays. My weekdays are usually rough and unpredictable. However, I could create time in the evening (from 7 PM) during weekdays; I presume it could be too late for you.

1 Like

This weekend is all booked up. If you mean 7pm BST i can be available pretty much any other day. Although i’m getting a booster jab on Monday (i hope) as the single J&J jab isn’t looking very effective against Omicron, so i might not be my most cheerful.

1 Like

I heard i can just go to the center without an appointment, so i’m not totally sure if i will be accepted or not yet.

1 Like

You should take the jab ASAP. I heard vaccinated people are more likely to be hit hard by omicron and any other variants. I’ve not had any vaccine though LOL :joy:

This is WAT to BST Lagos, Nigeria to BST - Savvy Time. WAT is just one hour ahead of BST. What do you think about this time? I can do this time any day during the weekdays, and anytime during the weekend.

I’m currently trying to strike a balance so I could have enough time to work on our (Public Happiness Movement) projects on weekdays, after work.

1 Like

Got it today, just a little tired after. I’m definitely reading that it’s only unvaccinated people being hospitalised and dying. I guess you’re young and healthy so low risk, but if there is a jab available I’d definitely suggest it. A bad infection will make your recent malaria feel like a holiday.

1 Like

Oh, you’re only an hour different. Pick anytime tomorrow or Thursday if you can.

1 Like

That homepage is the last ‘must have’ before we can begin bringing eyes to see all of our hard work, and I’m pleased it’ll be you putting the cherry on top.

1 Like

This is great! I’m working towards it. They were selling the vaccine down here, but it seems they’ve stopped for now because they want to get as many people vaccinated. I will work towards taking the vaccine.

Sorry, this is coming late. What about in the evening at 6:00 PM today? This is perfect for me as I will be done with work by 6:00 PM. We can use google meet. I will be active here today so I don’t miss your message.

Let’s see how we can roll it out. I just need the call with yo, it will help a lot in the process.

1 Like

6pm today would be great :slight_smile:

I’ve not used google meets before but i can give it a go, or i can send you a Zoom link here (we can actaully plug Zoom meetings into this forum, but i’ve not got around to setting the plugin up yet)

Zoom is really annoying haha. It’s an extra load for my computer. Google meet is easy because I can just use it on my browser.

1 Like

Google meet is very lightweight :slight_smile:

Ok. So if i read the times right our meeting is in about 20mins?

1 Like