Legacy: Introductions and Getting Started Chat

Hi all,

My name is T’mone. I recently got my Masters in UX Design, but haven’t been able to find a position in the UX world. I felt like this would be an excellent place to do good and practice/fine tune my UX! I heard about this project from Jai’s Reddit post in the UXDesign subreddit.

1 Like

Welcome to the Team T’mone! we run a jobs subreddit to help volunteers here find paying gigs, let me know if you’d like to be featured in the sticky post there :slight_smile:

@trust_level_0 @trust_level_1 @trust_level_2 @trust_level_3 @trust_level_4

Sorry for the downtime everyone. We’re still working hard behind the scenes to get the full platform up and running again. Its proving to be a very tricky issue, its great to see so much progress being made here even with only half a website to work with. We’re unstoppable!! :smiley:

If you’re still interested in working with us, would you like to take on the redesign of our community news site which is built in Wordpress?

Hello!

I am Bea, 21 years old, from the Philippines. I found this community in reddit and I am very glad to join y’all in contributing something for a good cause. I’ll be part of the recruitment team and I hope I can get along with all of you. <3

1 Like

Welcome @Bea its great to have you here!

Hi everyone,

I’m Lowe, I joined after seeing a post a Reddit. I’m a junior-level front-end JS developer proficient in Reactjs. I wish to contribute the best way I can.

Connect with me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lowesilvan/
My Github: lowesilvan (Lowe Mbonda) · GitHub

1 Like

Welcome to our effort to bring more peace and kindness into the world Lowe!

@Welcome and @DevMentors team would anyone like to help onboard @lowesilvan to the team. Perhaps we can coordinate with @novelica who has also just joined, both are looking to join the @ReactMeteor team.

I enjoyed Donatello’s frantic typing Lowe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, Andy. Looking forward to contributing

3 Likes

Welcome, @lowesilvan.

@AndyatFocallocal, I can handle the general onboarding. We could schedule a time that would work for us all. I will check the timezones tomorrow and suggest a time and date.

2 Likes

If you avoid Thursday and Sunday I should be available to join you all :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@lowesilvan @novelica what days are you free for a video call introduction over the coming week?

I’d suggest you have a go at following the getting started guide and setting up a localhost version of the website before the call so we can use that opportunity to deal with any bugs or issues you run into. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @AndyatFocallocal ,

This coming week I would love to get on a call either on Monday, Tuesday, and/or Saturday. Anytime between 8 am to 5 pm WAT would be fine really. Also, it seems I need you to grant me access to the current settings.json file.

2 Likes

Access granted. WAT time seems to be the same as Lisbon time and UK time right now so pretty easy for the most active members here to work with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Npm loop error on local host

Hi everyone, my name is John, it’s great to be here.
I am looking to dabble myself in some open source communities, and I feel the mission stated for this project looks positive and promising.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi John, i’m Andy. Welcome!

We’re approaching beta launch and would love a hand reaching that milestone (and beyond).

What skills do you want to contribute with? Also, where did you come across our community?

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:
I personally am a head of business unit within my company, leading a team that consists of project managers and software developers.

As for direct skills, I guess I am still capable of doing software development, mainly Javascript and C#, some random things that come to mind that in terms of skill sets:
Frontend: React/Nextjs/Material-UI
Backend: .net6/nodejs

I came across the community by browsing the Up for Grabs listings on Github, as I wanted to find some worthwhile cause to do some contributions :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m really pleased that you’re here. Right now we’re at a very interesting time as we are very close to Alpha launch, but also a very small team, mostly because its tricky to set up a localhost version of our platform, so most devs who join in wind up dropping out. Our daily active team is just myself and @Marvelxy, with a reasonable sized group who are watching and dip in from time to time.

Your skills intersect ours perfectly so i can give you an overview of both the project management side (me) and the development side (Marvelous), and you can pick and choose to where you feel you can provide the most value.

We have a weekly video call to discuss progress and if you’d like to join in that would be a good way to onboard and give you an overview of what’s going on. If that sounds good, what time zone are you and when are you normally available for a call?

As a quick overview

For the dev side:

The category is here: Web Developers - Public Happiness

For the Project Management side:

The current goal is to bring more Reactjs, MeteorJs, Javascript and System Admin devs into the project to reach launch, and also bring in PR and Marketing people to prepare a campaign to spread awareness once we go live.

• I’m trying to solve them all in one right now by putting together a Reddit-wide online hackathon to bring some momentum into our build. Starting with launching our homelessness platform (BTM) to demonstrate what types of projects can be built on our meta (this platform). The hack will begin with system-admins to improve stability in our localhost setup making it easier for more people to join in here. As i run 4 of the subreddits required with around 50,000 members the plan will bring some people into the team, but how successful it is depends on how many other sub-reddits join in.

• After the homelessness platform launches this platform will also be ready for a wider community to begin growing here as most of the code is shared, so i can begin onboarding our wider network into action to create a kinder, friendlier world and we can begin marketing efforts to attract more people and grow our capacity to create positive change in the world.

• Next we’re intending to clone this platform and launch it as an incentivised community led climate action platform

• The final planned platform launch hooks an NFT reward system in to launch another clone platform which funds local artists in covering up graffiti with beautiful murals.

• After the pre-planned platforms launch we’d carry on with our missions on each separate platform, and pivot the PHM Foundation (yourself and all others who were essential in the pre-launch and early days) into supporting the ideas put forward by the community here for how this platform grows and spin-offs can use our code to create positive change in the world.

For the Blockchain side:

• I’ve created our token with the functionality of minting new tokens every month

• I’ve found a plugin which allows us to export the user engagement data from this platform to a Google sheet via SQL queries, and now i’m working on writing the code for it (i’m not an experienced coder and may or may not be able to work this out without support).

• The next step is to hook the distribution of the tokens minted up with the google sheet, which i don’t expect to be too difficult.

As its just me working on the last two i haven’t broken it into tasks and put them into the Project Management or Blockchain categories (which is lazy). If you want to help out with either then i’ll begin breaking them up into tasks and posting them correctly.

Essentially we’re building an evolving, member-led platform which connects people and communities around taking action on causes they care about. Our Meta site (PHM) is focused on Random Acts of Kindness, and incentivised project to create a kinder, friendlier world.

Oh and i’m writing a guide to navigate this platform in its current state as its not intuitive yet and a few things don’t work. Its very flexible so there is no one correct way, but i’d recommend beginning with the ‘Global’ tab at the top, and in each category look for the ‘Tasks’ tab. If you’re landing in a category for the 1st time check out the links in the banner.

(This also works pretty nicely as my weekly summary so i’m going to copy/past it in the Weekly news, updates and timeline thread)