Make a sitewide notifications system by setting users to 'follow' the tags created by Docuss when they post something on the map

@WebDev following on from our video call tonight, what is the best way to handle notifications across the site moving forwards.

@cw00dw0rd mentioned the important point that the platform won’t be fully functional until the events on the Local side are also giving push notifications to remind users they have an activity coming up (unless users deselect that).

The app is currently set up as a custom Chrome Tab (WebView) so it relies on the notifications coming from the main site. Once the user is properly prompted for notifications via the desktop browser, they should also be prompted via the app.

1 Like

Right now i don’t have Slack open on my phone, but i received a notification from Tom.

That is the expected behaviour for the app and what it was doing about 6 months ago, but not what is happening now.

I’m going to compare the permissions settings of the two now.

Slack

Autostart: No
Permissions Allowed: Files and Media
Not Allowed: Camera, Contacts, Microphone, Phone
Other Permissions:
Show on Lock Screen: Yes
Display pop-ups while running int he background: Yes
Permanent notifications: Yes

PHM

Autostart: No
Permissions Allowed: None
Not Allowed: None

Other Permissions:
Show on Lock Screen: No
Display pop-ups while running in the background: No
Permanent notifications: Yes

I think these are the permissions out of the box as i recently redownloaded our app and haven’t changed anything since.

1 Like

Issue

To help visualise this issue, current behaviour on the Local side:

1. User posts a listing (event, or themselves)
  2. Another user clicks on the listing, reads it and clicks the links in the post to comment, post media, or say they are going to the event.
  3. This opens Discourse inside the Docuss interface where the user clicks on an existing thread or clicks to post a new one.
  4. First user expects to receive a notification of their interaction with their listing on the ‘Local’ map but does not as the second users interaction is not linked with the first users notification system.

Desired behaviour

1st users is notified of every new comment or thread made in their listing.

This requires that the 1st user is set to ‘following’ the tag which Docuss creates when their listing is posted.

You can see the tags we want the original user to be ‘following’ by pressing ‘Alt + a’ after opening a thread inside Docuss

Here is a relevant discussion on how to follow tags on Discourse. We need to automate this for the tags created when a users posts onto the map.

@syl Would you be able to give any advice on how you would approach this issue, as its a modification to Docuss and i’m sure it’ll give whoever takes this on a great head start :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Andy,

I believe this is the same feature discussed here:

I think it was very close to being successfully implemented.

1 Like

Wow. I’m so glad you remembered that, it will save a lot of time!!